[X Newbies] Apple and all of these viruses?

Florin Alexander Neumann alexn at ica.net
Sun Aug 24 15:15:42 PDT 2003

On Sunday, Aug 24, 2003, at 17:18 Canada/Eastern, Vincent Cayenne wrote:

> At 9:30 AM -0400 8/24/03, Florin Alexander Neumann wrote:
>> (2) Does that mean the Mac is invulnerable and I don't need a virus
>> utility?
>> A: No. Mac viruses are rare, and there have been no OS X viruses
>> reported as yet. But it's likely that it's only a matter of time
>> before an OS X virus shows up.
>
> Why, oh why, is this presented as one point?
>
> ...Does that mean the Mac is invulnerable? To currently known malware,
> yes.

When we say "Mac", we usually mean two different operating systems, the
"Classic" Mac OS, and Mac OS X. Neither is invulnerable to currently
known malware. On one hand, there is the malware written for the
"Classic" versions, which, as Randy pointed out, can also infect the
Classic environment in OS X (just as Win viruses can infect the Virtual
PC environment). On the other hand, (as you point out) there are the
cross-platform macro viruses, which can infect both systems.

> you don't need a virus utility to protect you from Mac OS X viruses -
> none are yet known to exist

If that's how my post read, then I must have not expressed myself very
well. I certainly didn't mean to get a anti-virus utility as protection
against a future virus. An anti-virus utility is necessary for
protection against (a) native Mac malware (see
http://www.sherpasoft.org.uk/MacSupporters/macvir.html for a quick
overview), (b) cross-platform macro viruses, (c) inadvertently
spreading PC malware. IMHO, the greatest threat is represented by
cross-platform viruses, that's why I stressed that an up-to-date virus
utility is especially desirable for Mac users who share Word and Excel
files with Win users on a regular basis.

Mac users who use Virtual PC should also consider a Win anti-virus
utility, especially if they do downloading and e-mailing from the VPC
environment (yes, there are a few...).