[X Newbies] decrypting keychains

Florin Alexander Neumann alexn at ica.net
Fri Aug 29 16:24:59 PDT 2003

On Friday, Aug 29, 2003, at 13:14 Canada/Eastern, The Macintosh Lady
wrote:

> if you depend on one password to
> unlock all, what if you forget that one? I have 100s to remember.....

So do I, and I prefer to remember one rather than 100. But your point
is well taken, that's why I'd like to be able to print the content of a
keychain.

> It's more that I am one user with 16 computers......whereas if you are
> in a
> school or work environment where you have one computer and 16 users,
> sure,
> the keychain might be the thing you need. I've just never needed it.

I manage a similar number of computers, two thirds of them Win, two of
them located some 6,000 miles from where I am. Keychain is a useful
(and time-saving) tool for me. I can also tell you that, prior to
Jaguar, I'd sort of given up (not without regrets) on the Mac (the
first computer I ever owned). OS 9 and earlier was simply too limiting,
too unstable, and too inflexible for my needs; it was simply no
competition for Win 2k and even Win 98. I began upgrading to OS X with
considerable reluctance, but now Jaguar is my main OS and I turn to the
Win XPP machines only when I can't help it. My chief problem -- other
than learning to use it to its full capacity -- is to get a reluctant
client to move to OS X. Troubleshooting his OS 9.2.2 is a major
headache.

> that doesn't mean I want it to do
> everything for me like Windows. After all, it was touted as being more
> powerful than the former OS and putting us in more control, not less.

Believe you me, Windows _doesn't_ do everything for you. Not even
close. Perhaps it's a subjective feeling, but I feel much more in
control on OS X than on OS 9 or Win, which (again, IMHO) offered a
greater degree of user configuration and control than OS 9.