Can't install on Beige G3

Michael McCarthy elvisisking at ns.sympatico.ca
Fri Aug 29 14:51:15 PDT 2003

The first 2 times I tried to install on my Beige G3 Rev A, (upgraded to
G4 466, 60 GB Deskstar HD, 576 RAM) OS X installed Ok and I ran it for a
couple of hours, but when I tried to restart in OS 9 (on a seperate
partition) I couldn't access any drives - got a cycle of 3 folders with
flashing question marks which I assumed meant it was trying to start
from each of the 3 partitions  - one OS x, one 9.2.2 and one 8.1.

 I low formatted the drive, reinstalled 9.2.2, and ran that for a couple
of weeks while looking for answers, which I may have found (bless both
systems). I retried installing, but now the installer freezes with about
7 minutes left (showing on progress bar) on the first install disk. I
can boot up in the 9.2.2 partition and see a gig or so of files in the
OS X partition. If I run Disk First Aid on the partially installed OS X
volume it says it iso ok. I have tried removing all third party cards,
reinstalling the original CD drive, etc. I have tried installing 9.2
first, then OS X, and vice versa. I have tried OSX and OS 9 on same
volume. I have zeroed my drive and tried again, same thing. I am
installing on the first 8 GB (actually 7.5) - the installer won't let
you do otherwise. Nothing changes, always freezes at about same spot.

The only difference I am aware of between the first 2 installs which
worked, but wouldn't let me reboot in 9, and the later failed ones is
that I updated the drivers with the OS X install disk, which it seems to
me should help, not hurt.

Since the first failed install, when I start up I get a white screen
which types "HFS bootable partionno" or "can't open" repeatedly for 7
lines, then it fades to black and goes to the normal grey start-up
screen, and starts fine.

Any ideas? I more or less have given up, but if anyone knew what was
going on and how to fix it I might try again.