[X Newbies] upgrading

Scott scott-xlists at scotist.com
Sat Aug 30 12:32:58 PDT 2003

On Aug 30, 2003, at 8:33 AM, The Macintosh Lady wrote:

> on 8/30/2003 10:38 AM, Florin Alexander Neumann at alexn at ica.net wrote:
>>
>> Not according to Apple. See article id 42717.
>>
>> http://kbase.info.apple.com/
>> viewdoc.jsp?locale=en_US&searchMode=Expert&type=id&docID=KC.42717_E
>
> The article states exactly what I said: If both machines are not new
> enough
> you still need the crossover cable.
>
>>> to crossover without a crossover cable

You may have read the article, but you did not comprehend.

  Only one of the machines has to be capable of Auto-MDIX. There are 2
lists in the article.
The second list, which contains those which are not auto-capable, says
that 2 products on the 2nd list need a crossover cable when connected
together. It does not say a product on the 2nd list needs a crossover
cable to connect to one on the first list.

This is the key part of the article:

> Auto-MDIX automatically switches between MDI and MDI-X, which allows
> either type of cable to be connected regardless of whether you are
> connecting two computers directly, or you are connecting to a hub or
> switch.
>
> Note: MDI devices connected to Auto-MDIX devices do not require a
> crossover Ethernet cable.

Auto-MDIX are the new machines. MDI are the old machines. So that last
line could read:
Note: Old machines connected to new machines do not require a crossover
cable.