[X Newbies] Mail

James S Jones jsjones at mac.com
Fri Dec 5 00:53:55 PST 2003

We haven't seen you 'round these parts in months. Glad to know you're
still hard at work improving Mail. (And, glad you haven't fallen victim
to the Orkin Man.)

Two Mail questions for you:

A week or so ago, I got a message into one of my mailboxes that
contained no information--no header, no message, nada. When I tried to
drag it into the Junk folder, all manner of havoc ensued. Specifically,
Mail would crash and then download duplicates of all the new messages
since the app was last properly closed. All other means of marking the
'empty' message also crashed Mail. The eventual solution was to just
delete it and rebuild the mailboxes with duplicated messages. I also
had to renew my Junk mail settings to get them to work again.

Do you know why this would happen? Is this something that could be
addressed in future releases?

Since about the last month of Jaguar, connecting to the .Mac IMAP
server has been very slow, most of the time. And, while Panther's Mail
handles those issues more gracefully than the former versions, it
remains a problem. Since .Mac's servers should be a reasonably well
know commodity to you'all, are there any suggestions you might offer
for improving this? Preference mods? Switch to POP? ???

Thanks again for your return.