[X Newbies] Mail

cricket cricket at apple.com
Fri Dec 5 11:02:52 PST 2003

On Dec 5, 2003, at 12:53 AM, James S Jones wrote:

> We haven't seen you 'round these parts in months. Glad to know you're
> still hard at work improving Mail. (And, glad you haven't fallen
> victim to the Orkin Man.)
>
> Two Mail questions for you:
>
> A week or so ago, I got a message into one of my mailboxes that
> contained no information--no header, no message, nada. When I tried to
> drag it into the Junk folder, all manner of havoc ensued.
> Specifically, Mail would crash and then download duplicates of all the
> new messages since the app was last properly closed. All other means
> of marking the 'empty' message also crashed Mail. The eventual
> solution was to just delete it and rebuild the mailboxes with
> duplicated messages. I also had to renew my Junk mail settings to get
> them to work again.
>
> Do you know why this would happen? Is this something that could be
> addressed in future releases?

 From the description, it sounds like the table of contents for the
mailbox might have been messed up. Rebuilding fixes that. Since that
seemed to fix it for you, that would be my guess. We're always looking
to improve detection of problems with the table of contents, so
hopefully that will improve in the future.

> Since about the last month of Jaguar, connecting to the .Mac IMAP
> server has been very slow, most of the time. And, while Panther's Mail
> handles those issues more gracefully than the former versions, it
> remains a problem. Since .Mac's servers should be a reasonably well
> know commodity to you'all, are there any suggestions you might offer
> for improving this? Preference mods? Switch to POP? ???

Try turning off SSL for your .Mac account (if you have it enabled).
There is a performance problem with SSL and .Mac that we plan to fix in
a future Software Update.

- cricket