[X Newbies] TCP/IP broken in Classic

Jeff Rothfus saranac.tv at worldnet.att.net
Fri Dec 19 08:20:40 PST 2003

On 12/19/03 Brigit wrote:

>Jeff, I think you cannot connect from Classic.

Hmmm ... it a puzzle ... because if Eugene's link is to be believed ...

http://www.appletechs.com/archives/00000042.html
[scroll to Scott Richert post]

... at least some people have successfully done it.

(And if truth be told, I seem to remember that in fact I did it myself in
the early days of OS X ... but so much of OS X was new to me then that I
really don't recall with any certainty.)

>You must connect either from OS 9.2.2 or OS X.

And that work-around does work.  I'm posting this message from OS 9.2.2.

>I wonder if there were more free updates to OS
>10.1 which you might look into also.

I was hoping for an update fix, but "Software Update" shows I have the
most current software for OS 10.1.x.

>If you are booted into OS 9, can you startup into OS X?

Yes, absolutely.  I can boot alternately into OS 9 and OS X very
successfully and reach the internet in both.  The only problem is
connecting to the internet in Classic with Classic applications.

>I am puzzled why the OS 9 startup disk does not work.  I think your
>last paragraph might be the solution.

It does.  It works fine when I can't get out of my *second* partition of
OS X --- which brings me to the second part of my two part question,.

But perhaps I better start another thread.

Thanks for the continued help,
jeff