[X Newbies] Hard Disk Icons in OS X

Florin Alexander Neumann alexn at ica.net
Sat Dec 20 00:01:02 PST 2003

On Friday, Dec 19, 2003, at 15:26 Canada/Eastern, Charles Martin wrote:

> The "bare drive" icon indicates that it is a built-in (internal)
> drive, or is supposed to anyway.
> The "white drive" icon indicates that the system believes this to be a
> removable drive (CD, Zip, USB external)

"Removable" and "external" are not synonymous. A removable drive is one
in which the medium (disk or disc) is not permanently attached to the
drive (e.g., CD or Zip). An external drive can be either fixed or
removable. An external USB hard drive is a fixed external drive, an
external USB Zip drive is a removable external drive.

> An "orange drive" icon indiciates that the drive is a Firewire drive.

Actually, I think the "orange drive" icon indicates an external drive,
be it USB or Firewire (probably SCSI, too). The symbol on the icon
indicates the bus type.

As to Jeff's problem, IMHO it's caused by a minor corruption on one of
his boot drives.