Airport Security

Chris Walker chris at mymac.demon.co.uk
Sat Dec 20 06:05:09 PST 2003

Hi all,

I have recently installed an airport extreme on my ethernet network which
at the moment uses DHCP to allocate the IP addresses.  128 bit WEP is
enabled and the wireless network is named.

Are there any other security measures which I can take?  I read somewhere
that SSIds should be disabled, but there is no obvious way to do this.
Don't know what an SSID is anyway :-)  Note that the connected machines
can only use WEP at the moment.

Are there any security or other advantages in using fixed IP addresses on
the machines connected to the ethernet and wireless networks?

cheers,

Chris