Airport Security

Chris Foote foote at chem.ucla.edu
Sun Dec 21 11:01:40 PST 2003

>   ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>From: "Chris Walker" <chris at mymac.demon.co.uk>
>Subject: [X Newbies]
>Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 14:05:09 +0000
>
>Hi all,
>
>I have recently installed an airport extreme on my ethernet network which
>at the moment uses DHCP to allocate the IP addresses.  128 bit WEP is
>enabled and the wireless network is named.
>
>Are there any other security measures which I can take?  I read somewhere
>that SSIds should be disabled, but there is no obvious way to do this.
>Don't know what an SSID is anyway :-)  Note that the connected machines
>can only use WEP at the moment.
>
>Are there any security or other advantages in using fixed IP addresses on
>the machines connected to the ethernet and wireless networks?
>
>cheers,
>
>Chris

You can set the Base station to allow only your own computer's MAC
address (the hardware address of the airport card; you can get it
through system Profiler). Use Airport Admnistrator.
Chris

Christopher S. Foote                      |Internet:foote at chem.ucla.edu
5505C Molecular Science                   |Phone:(310)-825-1409
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry  |FAX:  (310)-206-1843
University of California, Los Angeles     |
CA 90095-1569                             |
  http://www.chem.ucla.edu/dept/Organic/CSF_Brochure.html