[X Newbies] Upgrading To Panther Tommorrow Tips?

Gretchen Hayman gretchen at sedl.org
Tue Dec 23 08:34:08 PST 2003

On Dec 23, 2003, at 00:34, Bruce Klutchko wrote:

> On 12/22/03 10:27 PM, "Mike Binstock" <mikebinstock at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I am upgrading to Panther tommorrow,  any suggestions
>> for a smooth transition?
> 1. Have a good backup.

I second and third this!  What I did was make a full bootable backup
onto a separate drive using Carbon Copy Cloner 2.3, verified that it
booted (just in case!!), then did a clean install (or as I call it, the
'Nuke & Install') on my system.   Once I got Panther updated and
configured, I simply dragged Documents and preferences (like bookmarks,
Mail's plist) back over from the backup and reinstalled my third-party
software.  I made sure to leave my backup around for a several days,
just in case I discovered another preference or file that I needed to
copy.

Have fun!  :)

gretchen