Upgrading To Panther Tommorrow Tips?

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Tue Dec 23 09:25:40 PST 2003

> From: Mike Binstock <mikebinstock at yahoo.com>
>

> I am upgrading to Panther tommorrow,  any suggestions
> for a smooth transition?
>
> Dos and donts?

I feel sure I posted this before, but in case I'm confusing this list
with another, here's my recipe for trouble-free upgrading to Panther:

1. Make a clone of your present system. By far the easiest way to do
this is by using Carbon Copy Cloner and an external Firewire HD.

2. Insert Panther CD. It will ask you to reboot. When the installer
comes up, ignore it and go the menubar. Under the File Menu you will
see "Run Disk Utility." Do this and run both Repair Disk and Repair
Disk Permissions.

3. NOW you are ready to proceed. Go back to the installer. I recommend
opting for an "Archive and Install," since that will preserve your
settings but give you a fresh, clean system folder.

4. Proceed with installation. You may wish to customise it to save
space (don't bother installing add'l languages or printer drivers you
won't use).

5. When finished (about 30 min), reboot. From your Utilities folder,
run Disk Utility and repair permissions again.

6. Keep the "old" system around for a couple of weeks in case something
didn't get moved over, like third-party startup items and extra fonts,
etc.

7. Speaking of fonts, play with Fontbook if you want but BE CAREFUL. It
allows you to turn OFF fonts that the system NEEDS and can cause
problems if you do.

8. Be sure to visit the System Preferences panel and adjust some of the
new things (like Faxing) to your liking.

9. Enjoy!

_Chas_

http://www.orlandocitybeat.com
The one-stop guide to Orlando art, culture, nightlife and more.