[X Newbies] eMac can't keep time

Wiley Hodges wiley+osxlists at hodgesfamily.com
Fri Feb 7 08:46:39 PST 2003

I actually believe that the network time capability has the ability to
help with clock accuracy even when you're not connected to the network.

The underlying UNIX ntpd measures the rate at which your clock drifts
out of time, and applies compensation to your system clock based on
this observed skew. Without using a time server, there's no basis for
this measurement. Once you start using a time server, you should see
more accurate timekeeping from you system clock.

The guys who wrote ntpd were pretty anal; not only does ntpd measure
clock drift, it also estimates the time it takes for a packet
containing time data to reach your machine from the time server and
compensates for that transit time.

As always, your mileage may vary, particularly if there's a hardware
problem with your clock.

Best,

--Wiley