[X Newbies] B&W 350 beats B&W 450 same OS, 10.2.3

paulatx1 at aol.com paulatx1 at aol.com
Sun Feb 9 17:44:37 PST 2003

In a message dated 2/9/2003 7:54:10 PM Eastern Standard Time, Leon.Sargent5 at verizon.net writes:

> Why would I need 3 Gig to run efficiently?  Is that for the creation of the swap file?>>
    I'm not sure of the technical explanation of what OSX needs the space for.  I  really don't understand all the Unix underpinnings of Jaguar...I just know that it sure is stable.  And  I seem to remember a tech person  telling me that if I had the harddrive divided,  I needed to make sure not to fill up a partition...that the open space needed to be in each partition.[But I could be wrong...we need a tech person to address that issue.]    I do know  by observation  that with only a 6 gig drive...the computer ran like molasses  in winter;  but with a 30 gig drive, the computer runs quickly and smoothly.
     Another thing I observed directly was the speed differences between 128+32 mg of ram, 256+32 mg, 512+32 mg.  BIG noticable difference!!   And...if you don't get the ram seated correctly, and the machine only reads 32mg...Jaguar wouldn't even boot the machine.  [OS9 booted and that's how I realized there was only 32 mg seated...it was SLOW.]
                  Paula