[X Newbies] Crash city

TheMacintoshLady TheMacintoshLady at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 12 14:43:57 PST 2003

zippy tapped out this message on 2/12/2003 4:07 PM

>> have been using the fax successfully in Os X but now each time I try,
>> it doesn't detect a carrier unless I reboot between faxes.
>> What is UP with this OS? The console.log even crashed.
>>
>> Not having enough memory I suspect.
>> Exasperated.
>===============================
>I use the fax on OS 9 without any problem, so haven't attempted to learn
>the fax routine on OS X. But regarding memory, according to the Mac OS X
>Missing Manual, OS X doesn't allocate memory to specific programs like
>OS 9.  It just takes whatever it needs, on the fly, as it needs it,
>including from virtual memory

I know this, and what a shame. Nothing you can do when it runs out.

>A further review of the Missing Manual shows no mention of fax.

Because it's 3rd party bundled software.

> And the The
>Little Mac OS X Book by Robin Williams mentions using Fax software for
>sending fax's - so apparently X doesn't have it.'s own fax program.

I think you missed something. I said I *HAVE* been using the fax and it
does have one, it's FaxSTF which I have used without any problem on every
other system it's been offered. It's just NOT very reliable like in
earlier systems.
I have an old LCII I will be setting up for a dedicated fax system that
will print out on demand  reliably. I was using this temporarily and I am
finding X is not living up to all the hype....