[X Newbies] Crash city

paulatx1 at aol.com paulatx1 at aol.com
Thu Feb 13 09:46:16 PST 2003

In a message dated 2/13/2003 11:50:29 AM Eastern Standard Time, TheMacintoshLady at earthlink.net writes:

<< There was a sign in the local Apple dealer that said "If you are looking for OS 9, we still have machines that have it....." I could have bought one from there, but it  probably would have been the 700 mhz model, not the 800.>>
     Considering how vocal you have been about disliking OSX  in the past few months,  I am surprised that you would knowingly choose one of the new machines (that will not boot into OS9) over one of the older machines (that will boot into OS9).    You should have purchased the older machine.  [If you increase the ram in a 700mgz model, it will consistently perform faster than the 800 mhz model - until you upgrade it's ram also. That is the nature of OSX - it LOVES ram.]
      I think  you should call Apple back and get them to help you fix whatever problem exists in OSX. If it worked for awhile, and then got bolixed up,  it can be restored to the working condition.  I would try trashing preferences first. There may be some terminal commands to smooth things out.  Then I would try reinstalling the fax software.  If that didn't work, try reinstalling  or restoring the original software.  Get an Apple tech on the phone and have them work with you until the problem is solved.
      Personally I think you made the mistake when you didn't buy the machine that would run the operating system that you prefer.
                 Paula