[X Newbies] Crash city

Michael Winter michael-winter at uiowa.edu
Thu Feb 13 10:09:12 PST 2003

On Thursday, February 13, 2003, at 11:22  AM, TheMacintoshLady wrote:

>> Maybe call support like PaulaTx1 suggested - maybe a OS9 CD will find
>> it's
>> way to you?
>
> I have one...it didn't work.

Is it a new enough version?

On a similar note, I think I remember you saying this is an eMac? For a
list of Macs that won't boot in OS 9 see
<http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n86209> . If yours is on the list,
you're out of luck.

Also, you say all the OS 9 stuff that came with your computer is in
.pkg form? I thought that was true only for computers that won't boot
OS 9. Otherwise I thought (based on no-first hand knowledge) it was in
a .dmg file which could be burned to a CD to create a startup disk.

Anyway, one final note. I too have an older Mac running OS 9 that's
primarily just a fax machine. IMO faxing is still something that works
better in OS 9 due to the maturity of the fax software on that platform.

-Mike