[X Newbies] Making PDF files readable in v5.0 for 9

TheMacintoshLady TheMacintoshLady at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 20 21:29:31 PST 2003

Mark_PHILIP at scdf.gov.sg tapped out this message on 2/17/2003 8:36 PM

>I think the problem is with how you created the PDFs in the first place.
>Try this:
>1) Go to your application (Say AppleWorks)
>2) Open your document, select Print Preview
>3) This should generate a PDF. I believe that either Acrobat Reader 5 or
>Preview will launch. Save the resulting previewed document as name.pdf
>4) You should be able to open this PDF on any platform...
>
>Hope that helps!
>Let us know how it goes!

Actually I did simply save the PDF in the print dialog. But now I know
the reason why you can't just double-click it when it's moved to OS 9 --
it does not have the icon, clicking it results in "application that
created it can not be found" error......due to the fact that X does NOT
employ RESOURCE FORKS which are the genius behind the Mac in that you
don't have to "associate" files with their creator types, the computer
just somehow reads that information and you just double click on it
knowing it is going to OPEN in the proper application. The icon tells you
so.
Why they think making us work like PC users are used to working and that
this will save the Mac is beyond me! It's not ease of use nor the Mac
"way". (and nearly got the rep punched out when he said this three years
ago!!!)