[X Newbies] Airport Extreme

Kevin Stevens Kevin_Stevens at pursued-with.net
Sat Feb 22 20:56:51 PST 2003

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Bill Reburn wrote:

> >On 2/20/03 10:19 AM, "Kevin Stevens" <Kevin_Stevens at pursued-with.net> wrote:
> >
> >> I wonder if any market exists or if the technology can bare the cost of
> >> a 'Airport Lite'. Maybe a 20ft range unit that could be affordable
> >> enough to buy several and distribute throughout a house or office space
> >> with thick walls. Simply plug into any available
> >> Telephone/communications port and provide portable short range strong
> >> signal connectivity or perhaps linked connectivity to a base station
> >> somewhere in the house.
> >
> > You can buy 802.11b WAPS/routers for as little as $40 - which is less than
> > the copper drop to get there.  What's "affordable"?
> >
> > KeS
>
> If you point me to one I will drop the newbie questions.. I hope that a

Sorry, I didn't realize this was the Newbie list...

> Mac-friendly company exists that provides these? Maybe it doesn't matter
> what hardware you have, being a router - sounds like some configuartion is
> needed.. (too often by a PC, which I won't have anytime soon ;-)

I only deal with IP networking if possible, so don't really care or notice
about host-specific details.  Most of the home devices are
web-configurable these days.

> I have no idear what a WAPS/router is - but $40 is totally affordable if you
> think it's what I am looking for.

Typo, WAP (Wireless Access Point).  Generally they aren't much cheaper
than the all-in-one router/WAP/switch combo devices; you can use either as
a simple WAP.  I've seen rebate deals for DLINK, Netgear, and Linksys
models at $39.99 in the past three months.

KeS