[X Newbies] Airport Extreme

Bill Reburn bill at pacificcoast.net
Sat Feb 22 21:19:19 PST 2003

On 2/22/03 8:56 PM, "Kevin Stevens" <Kevin_Stevens at pursued-with.net> wrote:

>> If you point me to one I will drop the newbie questions.. I hope that a
>
> Sorry, I didn't realize this was the Newbie list...

It's called X Newbies isn't it?  ;-)  I do know my way around the Mac and
OSX, but I don't have a clue about networking technologies that's for sure!

I just didn't want to be asking (wasting anyone's time) about something that
may already be in full use in this area if the site or company that sells it
has the answers.

Thanks for pointing out the tech though, I will be looking into it.

>> Mac-friendly company exists that provides these? Maybe it doesn't matter
>> what hardware you have, being a router - sounds like some configuartion is
>> needed.. (too often by a PC, which I won't have anytime soon ;-)
>
> I only deal with IP networking if possible, so don't really care or notice
> about host-specific details.  Most of the home devices are
> web-configurable these days.

Ah I see, good for me!

>> I have no idear what a WAPS/router is - but $40 is totally affordable if you
>> think it's what I am looking for.
>
> Typo, WAP (Wireless Access Point).  Generally they aren't much cheaper
> than the all-in-one router/WAP/switch combo devices; you can use either as
> a simple WAP.  I've seen rebate deals for DLINK, Netgear, and Linksys
> models at $39.99 in the past three months.
>
> KeS

Excellent, thanks again, will be checking that out.. Looks like it's all
wireless for me!  8-) (although I guess I'll still get them to run Cat5 for
a backup or solid line whenever it's needed)

Bill Reburn