[X Newbies] Help - Dead iMac

Gregory Cortelyou chefgreg at mac.com
Mon Jan 13 18:38:23 PST 2003

On Monday, January 13, 2003, at 04:31  PM, Michael Winter wrote:

> On Monday, January 13, 2003, at 09:02  AM, Wally Rodriguez wrote:
>
>> I recently installed 10.2 Jaguar into an iMac DV Graphite system.
>>
>> Not minutes after the installation the screen started smearing and
>> then it
>> won't come on at all. The computer starts up and then does nothing.
>>
>> Anyone know if this could be a software issue? I know that some
>> machines
>> without firmware updates could do some crazy things, but this?
>
> That's exactly what happens if you don't have the current firmware
> update.
>
> First, your computer isn't doing nothing, it is starting up normally.
> Its just the monitor isn't displaying anything.
>
> The only fix is to somehow get the firmware update to run. When that
> happened to someone here, through some combination of PRAM zaps and
> booting from OS 9 CDs, she was able to get the monitor to show just
> enough to be barely useable (stuff smeared all over the monitor). That
> was enough for me to download the update and install it. Works great
> now.
Doesn't the installer tell you that the firmware needs to be updated? I
seem to remember always seeing a warning saying something like "You may
see a message indicating that your firmware needs updating, if you get
this message follow the directions to update before running the
installer...." something like that. I have installed on a few different
machines including an older iMac  ( a 350) and have had no problems.