[X Newbies] Help - Dead iMac

Scott j-scotty at attbi.com
Mon Jan 13 20:00:26 PST 2003

On Monday, January 13, 2003, at 08:59 AM, J Patrick Draine wrote:

> On Monday, January 13, 2003, at 10:02  AM, Wally Rodriguez wrote:
>
>> I recently installed 10.2 Jaguar into an iMac DV Graphite system.
>>
>> Not minutes after the installation the screen started smearing and
>> then it
>> won't come on at all. The computer starts up and then does nothing.
>>
>> Anyone know if this could be a software issue? I know that some
>> machines
>> without firmware updates could do some crazy things, but this?
>
> Yes, from what I hear this can be caused by neglecting the firmware
> updates before delving into Jaguar. The most important thing is  --
> don't panic! I don't have the details of the fix but I've heard that
> if you swap out your HD with one you've already got a working system
> on, you can run the firmware updates, and then put your original HD
> back in.
> Or, since you've got Firewire, you could use an external Firewire
> drive to do the same thing. I think an authoritative version of this
> fix would be in this list's archives.
>
> Patrick Draine

Don't reset the PRAM - you could wind up with NO video.
Boot to the 9 CD. select OS 9 on the HD as the startup disk. Restart.
Best to restart w/ add'l USB devices other than your kbd and mouse
disconnected.
Video will probably still suck.
Remove the 9 cd, insert the 10.2 cd. In the utilities folder, there is
a firmware updates folder. run the imac updater. Follow the directions.

That should fix it.
If you don't get any video at any step along the way, try hooking up an
external monitor. On any iMac DV except the 350, there is a vga port on
the bottom towards the back. There may be a plastic mesh 'door'
covering it.

Reference KBase article 75430 and 86117.
  http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum= 86117

If you have to, call Apple. Firmware upgrades are a pain if you haven't
done 'em before.  If you purchased 10.2 within the last 90 days, there
is no charge for help w/ the above. Reference the above articles when
you do - I don't expect every tech to have the KB memorized, so might
as well start off the easy way.

Again - don't reset the PRAM.

--
Scott