[X Newbies] Help - Dead iMac

TheMacintoshLady TheMacintoshLady at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 14 09:01:15 PST 2003

Robert roehner tapped out this message on 1/14/2003 11:35 AM

>Apple really dropped the ball on this one. How they could release a
>new OS that required a firmware update and not have the installer
>automatically check for and if necessary install that update is
>beyond me.

A lot of things are happening like this. Seems like we are quite spoiled
by the past. I wonder if the OS is that complicated or if they are just
in a darn hurry to put this stuff out and forget the details? This is
what I love about the "Mac", the attention to detail.
This is more typical of something that might happen on a PC it seems.

I recently spoke to a convert for whom I set up a new iMac (the gumdrop
kind.) She is using OS 9.2.1 and I set up everything and added everything
I thought she might need. I gave her the typical newbie setup, Documents
folder and Launcher, and told her to stay away from the HD, etc. I gave
her minimal instructions and set up the web............

For about 3 weeks I did not hear a peep. I called and asked if she needed
any help and she remarked that after years of grappling with PCs, working
with the Mac was like working with "artificial intelligence" that told
you exactly what you did wrong and how to fix it. She was not only amazed
but pleased at how intutitive the experience was and noticed how each
command related to every application! (She is a very smart woman, smarter
than my normal customers)

Her whole reason for doing this was, she felt if she put the internet on
her business PCs she might screw them up royally and wanted an
alternative machine to go online with and accepted my offer to find and
set up for her a leftover iMac G3.
She commented, "It's simply flawless and will not let you screw up"...

Hehehe.