[X Newbies] Updating Firmware?

Robert roehner snopple at mac.com
Wed Jan 15 09:58:33 PST 2003

On 14Jan03, "Brian Fish" <b.fish at durandac.org> wrote:

>how do you update firmware?  I've heard it said, many
>times, many ways.  But where do you find the latest
>firmware? Would it show up in Software Update or am I
>supposed to go to some section of Apple's site?

The firmware update should appear in your Software Update. If it
doesn't, chances are you have the correct version already installed.
You don't say which Macintosh you have, but for the iMac the latest
Firmware Version is 4.1.9. It may be different for a Powerbook, G3 or
G4 tower, iBook, eMac, or one of the newer flat-screened iMacs.

To determine what firmware version your iMac has installed, launch
the Apple System Profiler. Click on the System Profile tab. Under
Production Information or Hardware Overview there will be an entry
for either "Boot ROM version," ROM revision," or "Boot ROM info." If
you see $0004.17fI that means you have firmware version 4.1.7
installed. Meaning an update to 4.1.9 is strongly recommended.
Especially if you plan on updating your OS to 10.2 or later.

If the System Profiler indicates you need to update the firmware and
it doesn't appear in software update, go to apple.com and click on
support. Then access "AppleCare Knowledge Base Document 75130." This
document provides both a link to download the update for the imac and
instructions for how to proceed once the download is complete.

Robert Roehner
<snopple at mac.com>