[X Newbies] Help - Dead iMac

Wally Rodriguez wlists at fireworksmm.com
Thu Jan 16 10:54:50 PST 2003

I want to let you know of my progress.

After the machine died I tried a couple of things. I could tell it was
booting, but no display. Unfortunately the first thing I tried was the PRAM
reset.

Bad news, this really screwed up stuff and then it got worse as now it
doesn't even try to boot.

I moved the disk to a firewire enclosure where it happily boots other iMacs.

I tried to do the PMU reset, but all I get is the original bong sound and
then nothing.

I have scoured the internet for more info, but apparently once the machine
gets to this point (where there is no booting activity at all) it is hard or
impossible to bring back.

I even removed OSX completely from the disk so that it would have no other
option, but that has not worked either.

Any other suggestions? I'm ready to send it to apple where I'm sure it will
cost a bundle to fix this.

Thanks!!