[X Newbies] OS X on old iMac

Michael Winter michael-winter at uiowa.edu
Thu Jan 16 10:29:31 PST 2003

On Thursday, January 16, 2003, at 05:20  AM, Brian Thorpe wrote:

I'm going to piggyback on Brian's comments.

> I am currently using a Rev A iMac with 384MB of ram, a 40GB HD, and
> Mac OS X 10.2.3.

For the Rev A iMac here, a short memory supply (256 MB) and small HD (4
GB) were the limiting factors. As long as the person using it doesn't
try to do too much at once, its not any slower than running OS 9. I may
be wrong, but I think this is one of the computers that requires OS X
be in the first 8 GB of the drive.

> The ONLY trouble if had was in installing 10.2. I had 10.1 installed,
> but when I tried to upgrade to 10.2 the install sequence would always
> quit at a different count-down time before completion.
>
> The final solution was to remove the memory module in the upper slot.
> The installation went fine after that. After the installation I
> re-installed the module and have had no update problems since.

I was able to get around this by first just installing the "base"
package, then adding one thing at a time to that. For items on the
second CD, I simply put it in and ran the individual installers.

> The machine runs acceptably fast, especially since 10.2.3. The
> graphics are a little slow, but if you understand what you've got and
> you don't expect Dual Gig performance, you can get by.

That would sum up my experience as well.

-Mike