[X Newbies] Updating Firmware?

Robert roehner snopple at mac.com
Thu Jan 16 09:52:00 PST 2003

On 15Jan03, Emmy <emh at mac.com> wrote:

>Hmm, I'm wondering about this, too. Anybody ever had
>Software Update alert them to a firmware upgrade? I
>have not ever heard of it happening.

About once a week, the software update on my OS 9 iMac would appear
on my desktop suggesting I install the 4.1.9 Firmware update. I
hesitated because I don't know what firmware is and I was afraid of
messing up a computer that was working fine. Then I learned that
upgrading the firmware was necessary for installing OS X. Which I
plan to do in the near future. So I went ahead with the upgrade. It
turned out to be a very simple procedure that only took a couple
minutes. And my computer continues to run as well as it ever has.

I purchased that iMac from the online Apple Store about 16 months
ago. It shipped with OS 9.2. While the software update constantly
reminded me to update the firmware, the upgrades to 9.2.1 and 9.2.2
never showed up. But Christmas night, almost as soon as we finished
setting up our eMac, the Software Update window appeared on the eMacs
desktop. Suggesting we update Quicktime, iTunes, and the OS to
10.2.3. Which we did.

Robert Roehner
<snopple at mac.com>