[X Newbies] Do I need more ram?

David whelp at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 21 20:37:22 PST 2003

On Tuesday, January 21, 2003, at 04:53 PM, Bill Reburn wrote:

> Depends on what he's doing with them.
>
> Why are you scanning at 600dpi anyway? And at what dimensions are you
> scanning? If ALL you are doing is scanning in 5x7/3x5's or whatever
> and not
> doing ANY resizing, just printing at the scanned size then Mr. Wiser is
> totally correct. You're scanning in way too much information. Drop it
> by
> half and you'll always have the option of doubling your print size for
> future application.
>
> 600dpi is often my BARE minimum, as I like to enlarge quite a bit..
> While
> scanning photographs is not the highest quality process I prefer to
> factor
> in some extra pixels for later discretion.
>
> More details? And what OS are you using? I know we're in X-Newbies
> here,
> just asking to help you with helpful answers.
>
> On 1/21/03 1:34 PM, "Ed Wiser" <ewiser at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>> No need to scan photo's at 600dpi. you can drop it down to 150 dpi for
>> printing and everything will work much better.

I'm actually scanning photos to produce a book from Apple using iphoto.
I have looked everywhere for information about what scan resolution to
use to produce a book and I've turned up only one sentence from Apple
to the effect that you should use your camera pictures at the highest
possible resolution.  I haven't read anything about what resolution to
use if you're using scanned images. I also don't know if iphoto
optimizes your files and thereby changes your resolutions before your
book gets uploaded. If anyone has produced a book, I'd be interested in
your advice.

TIA,

Dave Whelpley
G4 MacOs 10.2.3