[X Newbies] In need of an iPod fix

Bill Reburn bill at pacificcoast.net
Thu Jan 23 09:10:01 PST 2003

Brian,

Go buy one now. A big fat 20 gig'er!!

Seriously though, the rumour of updated iPods has been floating around for
quite some time - I wouldn't hold my breath for some time yet. Maybe another
HD revision is around the corner, those small drives are getting bigger and
bigger. (That said, some video/phone/music/media/miniOSX based iPod could
come out tomorrow! haha)

Just like computers.. If you keep waiting for another revision - you'll wait
for ever. If the iPod that is out now does what you want for what you are
willing to pay - you shouldn't be down when a new model pops up.

MY NUMBER ONE RULE for buying Apple products (or most things for that
matter) is to NEVER buy First generation anything. Which is what a newly
functioned iPod would be - then you'd be waiting even longer!

I gave my partner a 5gig and I have a 10gig - she just uses hers for music,
but I take great advantage of the FireWire HD capabilities of the iPod also.

Goodluck with your decision and when you buy one, very strongly consider
where you buy it and what extended warranties are offered. Are you in the
US? I have heard that CompUSA has some TAP program that is very good.
Replaces your iPod for almost any reason/malfunction - read the fine print
as always

Here in Canada I purchased both my iPods with extended warranties (a first
for me, I consider almost all extended warranties to be a waste) - cost me
maybe another $100 to cover both models for another couple years beyond
Apple's 1 year.

So which (size) one are you getting?

On 1/23/03 8:26 AM, "Brian Fish" <b.fish at durandac.org> wrote:

> Hi folks,
> I've gotten to the point where I feel like I can no longer hold out from
> buying an iPod.  I was holding out for MWSF03 for the announcement of a
> video iPod, so the prices would come down on the rest of the line.  Last
> time I couldn't wait another minute for something was my new 600Mhz iBook,
> and of course, they bumped the speed to 700Mhz and dropped the price to $999
> just 3 weeks later.  Go figure.  So, now that I'm feening for an iPod...
> does anyone think that an iPod update is just around the corner?  Would it
> be smarter to wait or should I dive into the iPod pool with no regrets?  Ah,
> the contemplation.  Thanks.
>
> -Brian

Bill Reburn