[X Newbies] 20GB of good news - OT

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Fri Jan 31 00:10:30 PST 2003

On 1/31/03 2:09, "Mark_PHILIP at scdf.gov.sg" <Mark_PHILIP at scdf.gov.sg> wrote:

> Hi Kirk,
> Just out of interest, what programs do you use to write your books? Do you
> work primarily in OS9 or X?
> I've always used Nisus Writer to write booklets and notes, and never really
> enjoyed using the monstrosity that is Microsoft Word, either Word 98, 2001,
> or v.X.

While I have long been a Nisus Writer user (and beta tester), I use Word for
all my books. The first reason is that there's no choice - publishers will
only accept Word, or obscure Unix formats like LaTex.

The second reason is that since Office X (and even Office 2001) Word has
been pretty good. I would miss its in-line spell checking if I went back to
NW, though I think the projected OS X version of NW has that.

Word is far superior for collaborative work, with its change tracking and
comments, things that NW does not have at all.

Kirk

      My forthcoming book: Unix for Mac OS X: Learning the Command Line
                     http://www.mcelhearn.com/unix.html
  . . . . . . .  kirk at mcelhearn.com | http://www.mcelhearn.com  . . . . . .
  . .  Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France  . .