[X Newbies] Apple's Mail - Insert text

Frank Eves M.D. gold_eagle at mac.com
Wed Jul 9 20:06:58 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, July 9, 2003, at 04:19 PM, Florin Alexander Neumann wrote:

> I, for one, most definitely would not be. I much prefer the way it
> works now, which is entirely predictable and intuitive. Drag a file --
> any file -- and it becomes an attachment. Drag the contents of a file,
> and it is appended to the text -- if possible.

Florin, you may, or may not, have understood my request. I agree when
you say "the way it works now, … is entirely predictable and intuitive"
but I'm requesting an additional option. Try using the "Insert Text
File…" option from the Applescript menu in Entourage X and you will
better understand my intent.

> It's there already. In BBEdit select the text you want to send, then
> choose BBEdit>Services>Mail>Send Selection. Likewise with TextEdit.

Yes, thank you, I understand that. I was wondering if it might be
possible to create a service that allows the insertion of text from an
existing text file without having the program that created the file
open and without having to actually open the file. If the application
has been launched and the file is already open I can copy and paste as
I'm doing now or use the existing service; that's not what I'm hoping
to do. I would like to be able to select a file and have its content
inserted as inline text.

Frank