[X Newbies] Two question: AP and Entourage

Vincent Cayenne vcayenne at mac.com
Thu Jul 24 19:51:26 PDT 2003

At 8:12 PM -0400 7/24/03, Watrat wrote:
>The first question is in regards to wireless access points; can someone
>suggest a good one to work with a PC and a mac powerbook with airport
>extreme?  At work, I bought a Belkin wireless router 802.11B and its good
>when I am near the router, but very sketchy when I work my way away from it.

Useful info: Airport Extreme is Apple's name for their implementation
of the 802.11g standard for wireless communication. 802.11g is
capable of faster communication than 802.11b while providing backward
compatibility with 802.11b.

More specific to your question: If you have turned on the security
such that your wireless network is password-protected, the range is
adversely affected. How far do you get before performance is
"sketchy"? Do you have any other devices using the 2.4 GHz band?
Microwave, wireless phone? Did you leave the Belkin set to default
settings or have you changed security, channel, etc.?

I have used Siemens, SMC, NetGear, Linksys and D-Link gear, receiving
similar range and performance from all. I used an SMC Barricade
7004AWBR for about a year with excellent results - whole house
coverage from PowerBooks (Wallstreets and Lombards with Lucent
Orinoco cards) and from two Airport-equipped iBooks. When I added a
TiBook with an Airport card I simply could not get a good connection
from one bedroom. I added a $30 Siemens device (I'm using only its
wireless capability) at another wired point in my home and now again
have whole house coverage going out to the end of the back yard (the
SMC covers me out to the opposite sidewalk at front).

These devices have now gotten so affordable that I use a Linksys for
its router, the SMC as a Wireless Access Point (WAP) and switch, and
the Siemens as a second WAP. The multifunction devices are less
expensive than the dedicated WAPs!
--
'tis as said. [Reality is defined by being described]