[X Newbies] he said, she said.

Eugene Lee list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Fri Jul 25 02:19:02 PDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 11:36:39PM -0400, Florin Alexander Neumann wrote:
:
: So both BSD (on which the Mac OS X is based) and Linux are Unices (some
: prefer "Unixen"), i.e., flavours of Unix. Therefore, in geekspeak, you
: should have replied, "Mac OS X is built on BSD, not Linux".

Actually, not Mac OS X, nor Linux, nor BSD even, may officially call
themselves UNIX(tm).  It is a trademarked term owned by a very useless
company that would have you pay $$$$$$ to qualify your system as UNIX.
That's why everyone says "Unix-like".

: And, to be pedantic about it, officially there never was such a beast
: as "Macintosh OS". Apple applied the name "Macintosh" both to the
: computer and to the operating system. Eventually, the powers-that-be in
: Cupertino decided that was too confusing, and, sometimes in the '90s (I
: can't recall when), officially baptized the operating system "Mac OS"
: (not "Macintosh OS").

Actually, the switch happened after System 7.x starting with Mac OS 8.
I don't think Apple actually sold a product labeled "Macintosh OS".

--
Eugene Lee
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/