[X Newbies] he said, she said.

Vincent Cayenne vcayenne at mac.com
Fri Jul 25 07:46:12 PDT 2003

At 10:02 AM -0400 7/25/03, Florin Alexander Neumann wrote:
>  To say that "Linux" is a contraction of "Linus' Minix" means you're
>already taken sides, and it's probably incorrect as well.

Please revisit the links. The background for the idea that the
impetus/inspiration was Minix is in Linus' notes and postings during
the 0.x phase of Linux' formulation. Again (with prefacing Cliff
Notes):

>====== <http://www.li.org/linuxhistory.php> where there is a
>submission purportedly from Linus

>>where he comments upon and then includes some earlier material
>>which he seems to believe is from himself

>>>"From: torvalds at klaava.Helsinki.FI (Linus Benedict Torvalds)
>>>Newsgroups: comp.os.minix
>>>Subject: What would you like to see most in minix?
>>>Date: 25 Aug 91 20:57:08 GMT
>>>
>>>Hello everybody out there using minix -
>>>I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
>>>professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.  This has been brewing
>>>since April, and is starting to get ready.  I'd like any feedback on
>>>things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
>>>(same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
>>>among other things).
>>>I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
>>>This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and
>>>I'd like to know what features most people would want.  Any suggestions
>>>are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)
>>>Linus (torvalds at kruuna.helsinki.fi)
>>>PS.  Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
>>>It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never
>>>will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(. "

  And this apart from your completely baseless intimation that I have
"taken sides" - in my original post, there was absolutely no
commentary on my part, nor any material other than quotes with, I
felt, fair context. And of course the links themselves. Or did I miss
the part where you didn't mean me?

It's a particularly apt subject line now.
--
You're giving me more facts? I don't want any more facts! I just want
to be left with what I believe! - G. Jeanniton