[X Newbies] Does "sleep" slow down the system?

T. Patrick Henebry tphenebry at comcast.net
Sat Jul 26 15:01:38 PDT 2003

On 7/22/03 1:23 PM, "Bob Baron" <blbaron at earthlink.net> wrote:

> "Aha, when you wake the computer it doesn't load
> everyting and it will make your computer run slower."  I've never
> heard this before.  Any truth to sleep mode slows computer?

None.

However, There are certain housekeeping routines that OS X (like all Unix
and Linux operating systems) needs to run on a regular basis. By default
they run between 3:15 and 5:30 AM--a carryover from the fact that Unix was
designed to run 24/7. These housekeeping routines don't run if the Mac is
either off or asleep. See:

Over a long period of time not running these daily maintenance routines can
slow the Mac down in some cases. I Have MacJanitor on my system so I can run
them before I shut the Mac down at the end of the day. In fact, I even have
an icon for it in the dock for convenience sake.

MacJanitor was originally developed for OS X 10.1 but works on later
versions as well. You can find it here:

<http://personalpages.tds.net/~brian_hill/macjanitor.html>

--
T. Patrick Henebry