[X Newbies] MacJanitor

Mark Gibson gibsonm at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jul 28 00:09:39 PDT 2003

At 2:13 AM -0400 28/7/03, T. Patrick Henebry wrote:
>On another note,
>
>The text with the First Aid section of Disk Utility is confusing. It says
>you need to run from the Install CD to repair a Startup disk. To my mind the
>drive I boot from (and in this case the only hard drive in the system *is* a
>startup disk. So the way *I* read that I'd have to use the install CD. I
>wonder what Apple means by Startup disk??
>
><ping sound as light bulb appears above head>
>
>In the System Preferences under Startup disk I can choose volume and OS. So
>I wander if in this case Startup disk does not refer to the drive, but a
>combination of partition and OS? Methinks Apple needs to clarify their
>terminology.

First Aid lets you do two things. Repair the disk (left hand buttons)
and repair the permissions (right hand buttons).

You can repair a 2nd, say FireWire disk, using the left hand buttons.
The startup disk is repaired automatically, if required, as part of
the startup process.

You can however repair the permissions of any disk (including the
startup disk) by using the right hand buttons. This includes the
drive that is contains the currently active "system".

--
Regards,
Mark (}-;

AIM / iChat: gibsonm1

"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to success is more
important than any other one thing."   --Abraham Lincoln