[X Newbies] MacJanitor

Vincent Cayenne vcayenne at mac.com
Mon Jul 28 00:16:23 PDT 2003

At 2:13 AM -0400 7/28/03, T. Patrick Henebry wrote:
>The text with the First Aid section of Disk Utility is confusing. It says
>you need to run from the Install CD to repair a Startup disk. To my mind the
>drive I boot from (and in this case the only hard drive in the system *is* a
>startup disk. So the way *I* read that I'd have to use the install CD. I
>wonder what Apple means by Startup disk??

That text that confused you is pertinent to the Disk First Aid
"Repair Disk" function at the lower right. The Verify/Repair
Permissions functions on the left are not governed by that rule but
by the limitation that "You may only repair permissions on a Mac OS X
boot volume". The first two paragraphs are not relevant to the
permissions...
--
'tis as said. [Reality is defined by being described]