[X Newbies] Mac to Win2000

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Mon Jul 28 09:10:18 PDT 2003

On Monday, July 28, 2003, at 10:50 AM, Vincent Cayenne wrote:

> At 6:16 PM -0500 7/26/03, Steven Rogers wrote:
>> I've got a G4 running 10.2.6 on a local net with a couple of Win2000
>> boxes. One has been loaded for a while (not by me) and I can get to
>> it from the mac just by opening the "connect to server" dialog and
>> putting nfs://192.etc.  The other has just been loaded with Win2000
>> and when I try to connect to it with nfs:// the "connecting to
>> server" box just never connects. When I try smb://  I get a password
>> dialog with Workgroup, user, and password, but I always get an error
>> -50 from that.
>
> What's the name of the share? From today's MacFixit:
>
> =======
> Knowledge Base: "Error in user parameter list (-50)"

That's interesting. My problem was quite different, so there must be a
lot of things that can give an error -50.

I eventually figured out my problem. I had shared the volume, but
forgot that the first share is just administrative. Once I created a
second general use share, everything started working. So apparently -50
can mean something like "no shared volumes on the server" as well as
"illegal characters in your file names".

SR