[X Newbies] Mac to Win2000

Vincent Cayenne vcayenne at mac.com
Mon Jul 28 08:50:26 PDT 2003

At 6:16 PM -0500 7/26/03, Steven Rogers wrote:
>I've got a G4 running 10.2.6 on a local net with a couple of Win2000
>boxes. One has been loaded for a while (not by me) and I can get to
>it from the mac just by opening the "connect to server" dialog and
>putting nfs://192.etc.  The other has just been loaded with Win2000
>and when I try to connect to it with nfs:// the "connecting to
>server" box just never connects. When I try smb://  I get a password
>dialog with Workgroup, user, and password, but I always get an error
>-50 from that.

What's the name of the share? From today's MacFixit:

=======
Knowledge Base: "Error in user parameter list (-50)"

Apple has posted Knowledge Base article #25532 , explaining what to
do if the alert, "Error in user parameter list (-50)" appears when
working with an MS-DOS-formatted volume.

Apple's solution:

"Certain characters that can be used in a Mac OS X filename are not
allowed in MS-DOS filenames. This can prevent the file from being
copied, and can occur when a filename contains non-printing ACSII
characters, or any of these characters: ? /   " | > * [Ed. - See
today's "Troubleshooting Acrobat Distiller 6.0 report" for another
instance of filename character incompatibility.]

"Remove these characters from the filenames before copying.

"Alternatively, for a longer-term solution, reformat the volume as
Mac OS Extended (HFS Plus). Be sure that any important data on the
volume has been backed up first (after renaming any files with
characters mentioned above), and that any other computer you will use
the volume with works with Mac OS Extended format disks.

Apple adds that if the alert appears when you try to change a file,
try copying it to the computer's hard disk first, then copying it
back when you are finished.
  - Arthur C. Clarke