[X Newbies] Ethernet Printer Sharing

Robert Chambers Robert.Chambers at mci.com
Mon Jul 28 06:47:36 PDT 2003

> At last I've got my Mac/PC network running via a router and
> now wish to add a USB printer to be shared between both.  The
> setup is as follows:-
>
> PC running Win 2000, iMac with OSX 10.2.5.  The printer is a
> deskjet 940c with USB, generally connected to the PC - both
> OSX and Win 2000 drivers are available.
>
> I believe it is possible, at a price, to obtain a
> USB/ethernet bridge, although how reliable these are I have no idea.
>
> Does anyone know whether such a setup will work and how I can
> get it running?

I believe you can set the printer to be shared on the windows network on
the PC that is connected to it via usb and be able to access it from the
Mac.  You need to turn on sharing in the network settings and reboot.
Then select the printer you wish to share and allow sharing for it.  You
can connect to the windows pc from the Mac and should be able to see the
printer.  Haven't done it this way myself but am sharing a printer on my
mixed network.  I have the windows pc connected via parallel cable and
the Mac via usb.

Hope this helps,
Robert Chambers