[X Newbies] Daily UNIX Task

Gretchen Hayman gretchen at sedl.org
Mon Jul 28 14:41:11 PDT 2003

On Sunday, Jul 27, 2003, at 23:54 US/Central, Edwin Snyder wrote:

> When I try using either MacJanitor or the Terminal to do daily tasks
> it says no such file or directory.
> But when I go to etc directory the daily file is there along with
> weekly and monthly which I can run.
> Any ideas what's happening?

Sounds like your path may be messed up, or you don't have enough
privileges to execute this.  Are you an admin user?  I'm not familar
with Macjanitor (preferring to do things the CLI way), so perhaps
someone else can address that?

In Terminal, do this to check your path:

echo $PATH

It should list the following:
/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin

If it does, then try this command for running the daily script:

sudo /etc/daily

The "sudo" lets you run this as a super user (i.e. root-like powers),
which is necessary for some of the tasks which deal with files owned by
root.  If that works, then just substitute "weekly" and "monthly" for
"daily" above.

gretchen