[X Newbies] Daily UNIX Task

Gretchen Hayman gretchen at sedl.org
Mon Jul 28 14:54:09 PDT 2003

On Monday, Jul 28, 2003, at 00:26 US/Central, TheMacintoshLady wrote:
> It is very complicated. My routines always show some file named "man"
> missing. (This is not even funny in my situation, but weird......)

Man pages=system manual pages.  You probably get missing man page
errors during the whatis database rebuild.  It's not a problem.

Man pages are the "helpful" little manuals that are supposed to explain
how to use various system commands, tools, etc.

Their _real_ purpose, though, is to keep *nix geeks from feeling too
superior and confident in their abilities.  So, whenever you're feeling
way too powerful (ala BOFH) and overly confident in your 133+ h4x0r
5ki11z, start reading man pages.  I guarantee that you'll find at least
one to humble you.

For more info on man pages, in Terminal, type:

man man

It'll be as clear as mud! ;)

gretchen