[X Newbies] Viruses on X

Florin Alexander Neumann alexn at ica.net
Thu Jul 31 09:13:36 PDT 2003

On Thursday, Jul 31, 2003, at 11:43 Canada/Eastern, TheMacintoshLady
wrote:

> Can OS X be infected by these .pif, .exe, or .scr files that are sent
> by
> PC users?

No. Although, presumably, a Windows install running under Virtual PC
could. Even with Outlook Express Mac under OS 9, e-mail viruses don't
affect Mac users.

> As I said these are .pif, .scr, and .exe files which are PC programs.

.exe files are programmes; .pif and .scr aren't; not that it matters to
Mac users, anyway.

> she updated and ran her virus checker

If an e-mail was sent from her computer without her knowing about it,
the PC is still infected.