[X Newbies] Viruses on X

TheMacintoshLady TheMacintoshLady at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 31 09:16:50 PDT 2003

Steven Rogers tapped out this message on 7/31/2003 12:09 PM

>On Thursday, July 31, 2003, at 10:43 AM, TheMacintoshLady wrote:
>
>> I am hoping the answer to this question is a resounding NO. Can OS X
>> be infected by these .pif, .exe, or .scr files that are sent by PC
>> users?
>
>In short, no.  But you can get macro viruses that affect various things
>in the Microsoft family, like Word, and probably some of the
>Outlook-based viruses might cross over if you were reading mail using
>that Outlook (e.g. LookOut!) clone for the Mac. So the basic idea is to
>not open Word/ Excel/ Access, etc. files from people that you suspect
>don't have good virus prevention habits.

Well, there is no Outlook Express for X, is there an Outlook? I would not
be using that unless forced to use an Exchange server (yuck) and I have
no Office on there since AW seems to handle all that now.

Here is a response I just sent to Andy:

Andy Carroll tapped out this message on 7/31/2003 11:55 AM

>I don't know about OS X, but I do know that these viruses often fake
>the From e-mail addresses, so it may well not be from the person it
>says it is. Often looking at the e-mail headers can reveal this if
>you really know how to read them. So it may not be your sister's
>computer that is infected, but rather someone who has both your
>addresses somewhere on their computer.

Yes Andy, we are going back and forth about this, and my cousin swears
it's not her, however, the other night I called and she was indeed ON the
computer at that time I got the mail and her BROTHER, the only other
likely suspect, was NOT......so, I guess she will just have to face up to
it that it's her!
I HAVE gotten mail from her brother's "address" but the information
attached even had her name in it with her financial information and stuff
about where she'd surfed so I knew it was her. (NEA Teacher benefits,
Fidelity Investments, Morningstar Trading, Baby stores as she is a new
grandma, etc.....all stuff that had her name on it even though appearing
to be sent by her brother's computer -------- she was horrified! LOL)

Of course, being on a Mac, she was amazed at how I knew all this stuff..
<veg>
It's kinda funny.....not really but you know what I mean. :-)