X on early G3 iMac

Jon Warms jwarms at mac.com
Tue Jun 17 18:12:42 PDT 2003

Sorry, but I don't think this is the way to go. You have no control
over what memory [chip] is used. In any case, isn't memory tested when
you startup? Furthermore, doing a non-standard installation isn't (by
definition) recommended. Certainly you're increasing the possibility of
operator-error.

The memory problem occurred about two years ago. Apple released a
memory firmware that, many people found, disabled some or all of their
add-on memory modules. It turns out that the new firmware included a
test to ensure the computer's memory complied with Apple's specs, which
sounds ok, but many third party-memory modules that had been working
were now shown to be below-spec and therefore disabled.

Most reputable vendors replaced any modules that had been disabled by
the new firmware test. (I had used OtherWorld Computing,
http://macsales.com, and didn't have any problem.)

These links provides more info:
http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2001/04/07/dimm/
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/OSX/FirmwareUpdate_missingRAM.html

The second link includes a link for DIMMcheck which doesn't work
anymore, and a link to DIMM First Aid, which is available and may help.

Jon