[X Newbies] DVD -1 or +1

Joe Ellis jellis at gdeb.com
Fri Jun 20 09:41:33 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "TheMacintoshLady" <TheMacintoshLady at earthlink.net>
To: "Mac OS X Newbies" <X-Newbies at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2003 12:15 PM
Subject: Re: [X Newbies] DVD -1 or +1

> Oh wait a minute, further down the article says:
>
> "The DVD-R/RW format was initially championed by Pioneer Electronics, and
> is supported by the DVD Forum (the same body of industry representation
> that is behind the successful DVD-Video format).  Today, DVD-R/RW is
> supported by the likes of Pioneer, Sony, Toshiba, Apple Computer, and
> Compaq Computer.  DVD-RW includes provisions for content protection via
> the Content Protection for Recordable Media (CPRM)."
>
> So perhaps my SuperDrive *is* rewritable? It's a Pioneer, that much I was
> able to find out. I will then have to look for DVD-RW?

Actually, you can use either the DVD-R or the DVD-RW discs, the difference
is what you use them for. If you record a movie to the DVD-R disc regardless
of its' length you can only record once and once recorded you cannot record
on it again. With DVD-RW rewriting over data on the disc is dependent on how
the software you use handles the task. An example of that is you archive a
batch of data to the disc once using an application like Retrospect and then
do an update later on the same disc. Depending on the amount of data, you
may be able to do multi-session saves or overwrite the older data.

Joe Ellis