Localtalk initialization

Chris Foote foote at chem.ucla.edu
Thu Jun 26 09:10:50 PDT 2003

>Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 09:49:12 -0400
>Subject: [X Newbies]
>From: David Boag <spikedds at bellsouth.net>
>
>This is a follow-up to my previous inquiry about the 75 second pause
>during startup of my dad's G4 in 10.2.6.
>
>I spoke with a tech yesterday at a reliable local retailer (not a
>chain), and described the problem and the setup of my dad's machine. He
>said that the pause is normal when you are connecting to a printer
>using an ehternet-to-localtalk bridge. He said that is about how long
>it takes for localtalk to initialize, and that the only reason it seems
>to be long in OS 10 is because the Mac tells you what it is doing
>during startup, and that it still does it in 9, you just don't know
>what it is doing at the time.
>
>Does this explanation hold water?
>--
>David R. Boag, DDS
>spikedds at bellsouth.net

Something to check for: do a search for "recent servers" and trash
any in that file. If there is a server it's looking for, it will look
until it times out.
Chris

Christopher S. Foote                      |Internet:foote at chem.ucla.edu
5505C Molecular Science                   |Phone:(310)-825-1409
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry  |FAX:  (310)-206-1843
University of California, Los Angeles     |
CA 90095-1569                             |
  http://www.chem.ucla.edu/dept/Organic/CSF_Brochure.html