[X Newbies] OSX Indexing problems (re: Phone Number Mystery)

J Patrick Draine draine at attbi.com
Tue Mar 4 14:27:25 PST 2003

On Tuesday, March 4, 2003, at 03:04  PM, TheMacintoshLady wrote:

> Bill Reburn tapped out this message on 3/4/2003 2:33 PM
>
>> Are you sure that it can be turned off?
>
>  This is what I am asking......I know it can be done manually on each
> folder in the GET INFO, but I wanted to know if the routine is done
> automatically and if it could be turned off.

I'm no expert, but Pogue's "Missing Manual: Mac OS X Second Edition"
has a bit of information on pages 76 and 86. It appears it's automatic.
Under "Saving time and space" he suggests going to Finder ->
Preferences, under "Languages for searching file contents;", click
"Select", and then you can reduce the number of languages which are
indexed by default (I just reduced mine down to English), thereby
speeding up the indexing.

Patrick Draine