Phone Number Mystery

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Tue Mar 4 20:39:29 PST 2003

> From: TheMacintoshLady <TheMacintoshLady at earthlink.net>
>> Was Sherlock trying to Index everything? Or are you talking about some
>> other function? Is this INDEXING related to "Taken it over,"?
>
> Sherlock is the internet.

WHAT????!

No, Sherlock is NOT the Internet. Prior to Sherlock3, Sherlock was a
single program that could find things on both your hard drive AND on
the internet, depending on which you chose. You are probably running
Sherlock2, and that is what is "indexing" your drive. The purpose of
this is to allow you the benefit of searching for files by their
CONTENT rather than just their name. It's handy if you're the sort of
person who can't keep track of filenames.

If you'd rather Sherlock not do this, simply open Sherlock2, and change
the preferences regarding indexing. It's been a while since I used
Sherlock 2 so I'm sorry I can't be more precise, but IIRC it was under
the "Advanced" tab? Maybe?

_Chas_
"We don't want to be like Windows. We want to do everything better. We
are intent on creating the greatest computers and the best computing
experience in the world. And we are the only ones who can say that with
a straight face." -- Greg Joswiak, Apple VP of hardware product
marketing