[X Newbies] Phone Number Mystery

TheMacintoshLady TheMacintoshLady at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 5 00:23:52 PST 2003

Charles Martin tapped out this message on 3/4/2003 11:39 PM

>> From: TheMacintoshLady <TheMacintoshLady at earthlink.net>
>>> Was Sherlock trying to Index everything? Or are you talking about some
>>> other function? Is this INDEXING related to "Taken it over,"?
>>
>> Sherlock is the internet.

>WHAT????!

Yup. Read it again. SHERLOCK IS FOR THE INTERNET and no longer is in
charge of indexing your drive. You no longer search your hardrive with it
either.

>No, Sherlock is NOT the Internet. Prior to Sherlock3, Sherlock was a
>single program that could find things on both your hard drive AND on
>the internet, depending on which you chose. You are probably running
>Sherlock2, and that is what is "indexing" your drive.

Um I don't think so...LOL. And this is NOT Sherlock 2...

>The purpose of
>this is to allow you the benefit of searching for files by their
>CONTENT rather than just their name. It's handy if you're the sort of
>person who can't keep track of filenames.

Sherlock, on this version of Mac Os, is FOR SEARCHING THE INTERNET and
won't even open unless you have an internet connection.

>If you'd rather Sherlock not do this, simply open Sherlock2, and change
>the preferences regarding indexing.

Doesn't work because I repeat. SHERLOCK= INTERNET.

> It's been a while since I used
>Sherlock 2 so I'm sorry I can't be more precise, but IIRC it was under
>the "Advanced" tab? Maybe?

It's not anywhere since this is NOT Sherlock 2. Sorry.